[ExI] Space governance

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Sep 26 08:46:54 UTC 2020

On 25/09/2020 18:55, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>  I was thinking about this very topic just yesterday.

The thing that immediately occurs to me is how much it would cost
(energy, not necessarily money) to put even just 20k biological humans
into space in the first place. I don't see a sizeable off-planet
population of humans-as-they-are-now ever being plausible. The only
scenario where that might be possible, I think, is where a small
off-planet population grows thorough reproduction (even then, there are
immense problems that might just be unsolvable), but I don't see how
anyone can think that large populations of humans can be lifted off the
planet. Just do the maths. How much energy does it take to put 100kg
into orbit? How much mass would be needed to launch and support a single
human? The amount of energy it takes doesn't change, no matter what
technology you use, so how could millions of people ever get into space?

I'm not talking about transmitting uploads, of course. That changes the
picture completely.

--
Ben Zaiboc