[ExI] anger

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:16:09 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:42 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
> The Spartans submerged their newborns in wine to test their mettle.

My understanding is they _bathed_ them in wine -- not attempted to
drown them in it. The idea was that a weak child wouldn't be able to
stand up to being bathed in the stuff. It sounds to me that if that's
the test, it's unlikely many a child would've been harmed by this
depending on its duration and whether it was a one time thing like an
infant baptism. (This is, of course, accepting they actually did this.
Beware that there are many claims about Sparta that are hard to
verify. And Laconophiles tend to buy into every legend about Sparta
that makes the Spartans seem close to perfect in the Laconophile's
view.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: