[ExI] Spaceflight: The only valid case for waiting

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:46:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM BillK via extropy-chat

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 09:08, Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
> >
> > A LONG while longer if you ask me, but better than nothing.
> > At the same time, we must keep our great expectations for the future
> > alive. Why there's so much dystopian science fiction around? Where is
> > the optimism of golden age space opera? Speaking of that, where is the
> > optimism that this very list used to have twenty years ago?
>

> Twenty years ago we didn't have powerful home computers, the cloud
> and virtual reality. (And the outside world future looking really grim).
> Now anyone can have great adventures anywhere, in the company of many
> friends, all without moving from our recliner chairs.

And THAT, if you ask me, causes many problems. As someone said (Peter
Thiel I think), we wanted cities on the Moon, and we got 140 character
tweets instead.
I have been an internet evangelist since the very very beginning, but
I never considered the internet as a replacement for the real world. A
very useful complement yes, but a replacement no. Not the same thing.
I see going back to the Moon as going back to the real world. Reality,
not videogames.