[ExI] oh hey, why didn't we do this sooner...

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:08:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:59 PM Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 2:39 AM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> By the way, do you recall the case of the transboy in Texas:
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-texas-girls-title
>>
>> Note that he wanted to compete with the boys, but the rules forced him
>> to compete with the girls because of what's on the birth certificate.
>> That's not his (or his parents') crafty scheme to win in these
>> competitions. Rather, it's the Texas public school rules.
>
> While I think in this case, it makes sense for him to wrestle with boys if he
> wants to based on his hormone therapy, I definitely don't think the reverse
> situation is a good idea where transwoman are allowed to compete against
> cis women.   It's indisputable that someone born male who has gotten into
> the middle of puberty has innate physical advantages over girls on average.

I think that really depends on the male. There are definitely males
who've reached puberty who are overmatched by females who've reached
puberty. It's not like every last male is a superathlete above every
last female. Surely, you knew of cis-girls who were simply better at
sports or physical activity than some of the cis-boys growing up. I
sure did.

> Not trying to offend, but I'm curious if you feel the same way in the other
> direction.  I just don't feel like it's a fair fight to take an adult transwoman
> who transitioned after puberty for example, and wants to fight against cis
> woman in the ring.  There is a real possibility of extreme injury there based
> on a number of physical factors, some present from birth, and many from
> high T during puberty.

I'm not an expert in wrestling, but I don't see why the sport's rules
couldn't be revised to deal with that problem -- the one anti-trans
folks bring up all the time. For instance, there are already weight
classes in both amateur and pro wrestling. Why couldn't something like
be worked out to make sure opponents were matched regardless of
assigned birth gender?

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: