[ExI] oh hey, why didn't we do this sooner...

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:34:36 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 3:48 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> >> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
> > I vaguely suspect there are male athletes kinda faking it in order to
> compete in womens' sports already.
>
> Hi Spike,
>
> >...Vaguely suspect amounts to what? Do you have any credible evidence for
> these claims? Dan
>

> No.  I read these opinion pieces which are much closer to the action and
> have an actual dog in that fight.  I don't:
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/06/19/transgender-athletes-robbi
> ng-girls-chance-win-sports-column/4856486002/
>
> I figure the worst that can happen is men will fake being trans in order to
> glom onto Title IX scholarships.

I'm not sure any of the cases mentioned are of men faking it. Can you
present cases of men faking it to get a sports scholarship? The case I
presented of the Texas transboy was one where he was forced to play in
women's competitions. This someone assigned female at birth -- rather
than the horror scenario of someone assigned male at birth. But even
in his case, he wasn't faking it.

> Well, that won't cause any physical harm I
> suppose.  College students are not likely to get too crazy with it either:
> they have a sense of responsibility and fair play for the most part one
> might think.

My guess it'll take time to adjust to accepting trans and non-binary people.

> This business about the prisoners, oh mercy: you take a bunch of these guys
> who may be lifers, nothing to lose at all.  My intuition tells me that of
> course they are going to claim to be trans in order to get at female
> prisoners.  The California law just passed this week so we have no case
> studies yet, but that one should be pretty easy to anticipate.

Again, the law seems to allow for prison authorities to rule out
prisoners based on them being a security risk. Unless the report is
mistaken, it seems like they've already thought of your horror
scenario and made for a way to avoid it. I can't tell ahead of time,
but my guess is that a lifer trying to game the system wouldn't fly.
Since he didn't present himself as trans or non-binary entering into
the system, he'd have to persuade the authorities that he truly
discovered his new gender identity while in prison. I don't know, but
my guess would be that'd be a tough sell. Still, let's say it's not.
Then what would stop the rules from being changed to make sure someone
wasn't lying here?

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: