[ExI] Spaceflight: The only valid case for waiting

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Sep 28 18:45:37 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan
TheBookMan via extropy-chat

>...but still SpaceX and other ventures are moving forward on the
spaceflight front. ... Regards...Dan

Oh my goodness, are they ever.  The town where I misspent my childhood and
youth love Elon Musk with all their hearts.  The launches are going like
nobody's business...  Well,  retract that, going like Elon's business.  One
ballsy forward-looking business guy managed to get a rocket to land with
dignity on its feet, simultaneously bringing prosperity to my own
neighborhood and simultaneously my old friends and family's neighborhood.

Musk is a guy who has the reality-distortion-field talent of Steve Jobs but
the business skills of Bill Gates, all in one guy.  Result: a clear
demonstration for why space stuff needs to be done by private industry
rather than government.

Furthermore... I am assuming ExI types are listening to the Tesla hype on
the new storage battery tech.  I do hope this guy is telling the truth.  I
can see at least part of his new pitch is most likely exaggerated: Zero to
sixty in under 2 seconds?  Eh... show me, don't tell me.  A new electric
towner that drives itself for 25k?  Show me, Elon, and when you do, explain
why you did eventually deliver the 35k model 3: about a dozen of them.  Hey
I understand cost overrun (I worked for Lockheed for 26 years) and we are on
your side.  But 25k?  I don't think so.  I might buy one if so, but... I
think not.

In any case... go Elon!  Make it so, sir.  Make it sooooo so.

By the way... electric cars are all the rage around here.  We had our fifth
blackout this morning in the past 2 months.  My friends nearby are still
outta power.  I told them come on over, everything is working, including the
AC.  They will be here in 11 minutes.