[ExI] Spaceflight: The only valid case for waiting

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 00:37:40 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:48 PM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, 5:02 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> I keep waiting for VR to take off. AR has to some extent, but not
>> enough given the promise. I thought by now we'd all be wearing
>> something like Google Glass and spending most of our day in VR.
>
> If we bend the definition some, we could consider RPG and MMO
> games to have already taken off as VR worlds.  Whether old school
> tile based or the much higher resolutions of Unreal or Unity, the
> sense of otherworldy self is suggestive enough that we can use
> them to reflect on Self0.
>
> If you consider how much time we spend staring into glass rectangles,  we
> are spending considerable time in non-physical reality. Maybe that's why
> we don't call it Virtual Reality: we keep rolling all this tech into regular reality.

Though how different is that then earlier computer games and other
interactive experiences? Yes, it's easier to carry around and the
graphics is much better, but I don't feel when I'm playing these much
different than watching a film or TV save for the participation. Even
playing Pokemon GO, which I became quite addicted to at one point
seems a far cry from the superexpensive VR games. An earlier
generation thought they'd grow up into a world of flying cars and
vacations on Mars. I grew up thinking VR would be like The Matrix
films. (And that strong nanotech and GAI would be here by now and
maybe even the first people would be being revived or uploaded from
cryonics storage.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: