[ExI] Spaceflight: The only valid case for waiting

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:03:50 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, 8:39 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <

> Though how different is that then earlier computer games and other
> interactive experiences? Yes, it's easier to carry around and the
> graphics is much better, but I don't feel when I'm playing these much
> different than watching a film or TV save for the participation. Even
> playing Pokemon GO, which I became quite addicted to at one point
> seems a far cry from the superexpensive VR games. An earlier
> generation thought they'd grow up into a world of flying cars and
> vacations on Mars. I grew up thinking VR would be like The Matrix
> films. (And that strong nanotech and GAI would be here by now and
> maybe even the first people would be being revived or uploaded from
> cryonics storage.)

Not much different.

If your survivalist tribe was lucky enough to score an animal you couldn't
devour in a single meal, the fireside conversation was either reminiscing
about the recent and past victories or planning the next success.

I make the case we're rarely in the moment,  even when it's a good moment.

Spike frequently reminds us that modern times has more good moments than
most of history... but he has to remind us frequently because modern time
is so bountiful with distractions.