[ExI] The Psychology of Jeff Bezos and the 10,000-Year Clock

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:04:38 UTC 2021

"It’s difficult enough to empathize with our future selves. What about
empathizing with future others? People years into the future who haven’t
been born yet and whom we’ll never meet? People, who necessarily only exist
in our imaginations?

If we are to design a more sustainable future, we must believe the future
exists. An inability to connect with future generations provides a key
obstacle to this. Like Johnny Cash, the spiritual
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/spirituality> fox, creatives
across various mediums are trying to reshape how we think.

Often, this means creating artistic works that won’t be enjoyed until way
into the future. The ultimate distillation of this might be Jeff Bezos'
investment in the 10,000-Year Clock. Before we get there, however, let's
take a deeper look at what future thinking looks like a little more near
term."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-brain-and-value/202104/the-psychology-jeff-bezos-and-the-10000-year-clock