[ExI] Epic Games Raised $1 Billion to Fund Its Vision for Building the Metaverse

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 12:20:20 UTC 2021

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 12:21, John Grigg via extropy-chat

> What do you think?
>
> "So what’s “the metaverse,” anyway? The term was coined in 1992 when Neal Stephenson published his hit sci-fi novel Snow Crash, in which the protagonist moves between a virtual world and the real world fighting a computer virus. In the context of Epic Games’ announcement, the metaverse will be not just a virtual world, but the virtual world—a digitized version of life where anyone can exist as an avatar or digital human and interact with others. It will be active even when people aren’t logged into it, and would link all previously-existing virtual worlds, like an internet for virtual reality.
>
> https://singularityhub.com/2021/04/14/epic-games-raised-1-billion-to-fund-its-vision-for-building-the-metaverse/

Reminds me of the film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
(2017) Director: Luc Besson
I enjoyed the spectacle and want to see it again. Too much to take in
with one viewing!

Quote from Roger Ebert review -
“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” is an utter delight and
one of the most gorgeous fantasies to hit the screen in recent
memory—the kind of film that can take moviegoers logy from the usual
array of craptaculars and render them giddy with its pure fun. The
question, of course, is whether viewers will be willing to give its
weirdo charms a chance. But if you want to come away from a film
feeling dazzled instead of simply dazed, this is an absolute must.
Besides, it is almost certainly going to become a cult favorite in a
few years, so why not get in on the ground floor while you can?