[ExI] pistols

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 01:38:32 UTC 2021

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 10:10, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 12:12 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>

>> Impulsive suicide is not really the same as, say, deciding to end your
>> life because you have a terminal illness. I have seen many patients over
>> the year who attempted suicide by overdose, woke up in hospital a few hours
>> later, said they felt silly and went home. If they had put a gun in their
>> mouth and pulled the trigger, the outcome would have been different.
>>

> ### Suicidal gestures are common, and the common forms are overdose and
> wrist slashing. Occasionally a gesture ends up badly, if the overdose is
> too large and the suicide voice message is listened to too late but still
> survivable overdoses are often just gestures. People don't make suicidal
> gestures with guns though.

Sometimes they are just suicidal gestures, but often the patient really
intends to die at the moment they make the attempt, but change their mind
when they wake up. On the popular imagination, you can kill yourself with
“sleeping tablets”. In the days of barbiturates and tricyclic
antidepressants that was the case, but it’s much less likely that you will
die from an overdose of benzodiazepines, SSRI’s and antipsychotics, which
are the most commonly used overdose drugs today. Guns, of course, are even
more likely to be lethal.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou