[ExI] good news for libertarians

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 23 20:54:38 UTC 2021

> On Behalf Of Ben via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] good news for libertarians

On 23/04/2021 08:37, John Grigg wrote:

On 2021-4-22 21:41, John Grigg via extropy-chat wrote:

>> I just don't like that due to the ruthlessness of our current economy.
John

But John, our current economy has more ruth than ever before in history.  It
is getting more ruthful all the time.

.

>.Perhaps less women will enter into the field, and do more productive and
psychologically healthy things with their lives... Anton

Earlier today someone commented about polarization in attitude of retired
harlots.  When I saw that, it occurred to me that there are those who go
into no-collar work out of economic necessity and those who go into that
profession because they just like it (Hey cool, we can get PAID for this?
Really?  OK, sure sign me up!)  One might suppose there is some overlap in
those two groups but plenty who are in one camp or another.

Let us put aside for the moment other considerations and imagine all
prostitution is legal.  Without that legal risk or liability, the cost of
the service would likely go down, which might compel fewer into the field if
they did not enjoy that particular line of work, while perhaps attracting a
compensating number of sex enthusiasts who would otherwise stay out because
they didn't want to risk their day job with an arrest.  We could imagine
part timers taking it up, perhaps curious amateurs, lonely singles, that
sort of thing.  Such a notion might give a new and literal meaning to the
term "moonlighters."

Result: harlots as a group would be a more satisfied group of workers.  I
don't know this, for it isn't my world, but I would speculate that the
customer base would enjoy a better product if the supplier is more satisfied
with his or her career choice.  This sounds like a win-win situation to me.