[ExI] Pentagon leak

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 16:55:04 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 9:25 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* [ExI] Pentagon leak
>

> >>…Two scenarios:  1 - the leak was intentional;  2 - it was not.
>

> >>…Exercise:  devise explanations for each of these.
>

> Billw
>

> >…“The US military put its new warfighting concept for future warfare to
> the test in a wargaming exercise last fall and it did not go well, Vice
> Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten said Monday, multiple
> defense outlets reported.
>
> "Without overstating the issue, it failed miserably," Hyten said at the
> National Defense Industrial Association's Emerging Technologies Institute, according
> to Defense One
> <https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2021/07/it-failed-miserably-after-wargaming-loss-joint-chiefs-are-overhauling-how-us-military-will-fight/184050/>
> .”
>

> https://www.businessinsider.com/us-military-failed-miserably-in-war-game-changing-warfighting-strategy-2021-7
>

> I didn’t look seriously into scenario 2.  I can’t figure out why they
> would let this information out, other than to signal to Taiwan and the rest
> of the world that the US will stand down if China takes Taiwan.  Then once
> they do, the next step is Vietnam, Korea and Japan, along with any part of
> Africa worth taking.
>

> spike

Scenario 3: this wasn't a leak.

I've seen this before: the information is already getting out there, so the
high-ups try to get out in front of it, talking to the press to shape the
story before the actual leak can reach the people they care about.

In this case, it is possible - even likely - that the wargaming exercise
was observed by foreign military, who will eventually report on it.  Their
report would be picked up by the press if the US military did not report on
it first.  Since the US military did report on it first, they got some say
in how it was spun.  "We tried this and failed," sounds very different
than, "they tried that, failed, and did not admit it".