[ExI] libertarian city - from Quora

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Wed Aug 11 23:24:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-8-11 14:55, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
> Firefighting: if your house is next to mine and on fire, then my house
> is at danger of catching fire.  If I'm a firefighter and you're not,
> then I "impose" my service on you to save my house.  (Or I don't, and
> let your house burn to the ground, thus rendering the firefighting
> service ineffective.)
>
> Roads: if I build a road from my house to town, it goes by your house,
> and you are not otherwise involved, I have "imposed" my road upon you.
>
> Health: pandemics don't care if you've opted in or not.  If you're
> infected and you're my neighbor, you need to be treated before I get
> sick - and vice versa.

In a world that has had time to learn how to make statelessness work, I
would not expect any cluster of buildings to exist without having
negotiated easements and the like.  Adapting a preexisting city to new
statelessness will have inevitable challenges!  Somebody must have
written on possible solutions ..

> Police: if you have opted not to subscribe to the protection of the law,
> people are free to impose force upon you, and will do so (if they think
> the police really won't protect you) regardless of your alleged rights.
> It doesn't matter how many guns you have.

Your other three examples have obvious externality problems, but where's
the externality in this one?

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org