[ExI] to my fellow renaissance life forms

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Aug 14 11:31:37 UTC 2021

On 13/08/2021 19:10, billw wrote:
> Here's an open-ended question for you:  what do we need to do as
> individuals (starting with improving yourself) and collectively to
> improve our world and our country?  Yeah, I know -- it will take you
> ten thousand words to do that, but can you just make a list and
> prioritize it?  bill w

It seems to me that the only things that are even theoretically capable
of resisting the current rising tide of dictatorial, oppressive and
power-hungry regimes (not to mention intolerance) are technology that
can empower individuals, combined with education.

As far as what individual people can do to fight against a future dark
age, I reckon 1) educate yourself about what's going on in the world,
and 2) encourage others to do the same, and 3) adopt the technologies
that tend to empower users, and shun the ones that entrap and control
them, and 4) encourage others to do the same. Learning about, and using,
Free and Open software would be a good start, as well as learning about,
and if possible, contributing to, the Freedom to Tinker movement. Read
cautionary tales such as 1984, and learn to recognise the signs of
governments taking them as instruction manuals rather than grim warnings.

I realise there are huge obstacles to some of these things. Maybe a good
first step would be 0) to try to figure out how to identify and overcome
those obstacles.

Ben