[ExI] not political

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Aug 23 04:19:27 UTC 2021

This might seem like a post about American politics, but it isn’t.  Read on please.

California is trying to recall its governor.  We get the usual collection of goofball candidates mixed in with about a couple dozen serious ones who have managed to delude themselves into thinking they could get elected.  They are printed in a voter pamphlet with their short essays on why they would be a great governor and yakkity yak and bla bla.

On one of the pages we see a candidate named Angelyne, of the No Preference party:

He or she offers his or her profession as Billboard Queen, Icon.  His or her entire essay is two words: Experienced politician.

Half a page, blank, but he or she helpfully offers a snail mail @, an email @, a Twitter and Instagram:

So someone blew nearly four thousand bucks to have a blank half a page.  Absurd!

Then… it suddenly occurred to me: there are 22 million registered voters in California.

What a bargain!  This is the lowest cost advertising in history.  That’s over 5000 registered voters per dollar.  Anyone could tell 22 million people anything for a mere pittance really.  Angelyne decided to just tell people where he or she is and how he or she can be reached.

Speculation: plenty of people will get this.  In the next California governor’s election, we will get plenty of stuff like:

I opened this transmission shop 6 years ago at 235 Schmerdly Avenue in Ventura after working my way thru mechanics’ school without a loan.  I decided if I can fix California the way I fix transmissions, everything would be perfect!  California will run like your car will after I have worked on it… etc.

I can easily see having just one sex worker realize this is a golden opportunity to advertise will cause a million others to realize the same truth.

Oh what an opportunity.  We aughta be able to cash in on this silliness somehow.