[ExI] infinity

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Aug 25 13:01:12 UTC 2021

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] infinity

<https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/how-far-is-it-to-the-edge-of-the-universe-c6615d1b6263>

>...But thinking about infinities still makes my brain hurt!  :)

>...BillK

Mine too BillK.

We are three dimensional beasts living in what we perceive as a three dimensional universe.  We try to somehow impose our perceptions into some kind of 3-D model, such as a very common popular misunderstanding of the Big Bang.  The whole notion leads 3D humans to ask the obvious questions: OK sure, so where did this giant firecracker come from to start with?  And where were we located in the firecracker before it exploded?  etc, and it just can't be explained adequately any more than A. Square from Abbott's Flatland could explain the sphere to his fellow Flatlanders because they were 2D.

To get the whole inflationary universe you really need to get hot with your multivariable calculus.  There are no good shortcuts, you need to master the math before you have a fightin chance at the concept.  Many of us recall taking calculus-based physics and realize without calculus there are just too many concepts outta your reach.  Same goes for 4-D universe models  The curvature of spacetime caused by mass for instance: you need your del operators and gradient functions and such.  There are no shortcuts up this mountain.