[ExI] infinity

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Wed Aug 25 20:02:52 UTC 2021

On 24/08/2021 18:51, bill w wrote:
> Is there a consensus in our groups as to whether the universe is
> finite or infinite?  It certainly is infinite for the human race's
> practical purposes.
>
> Let's suppose it is finite.  So you go to a place where it ends.  What
> do you see? What if you tried to drill a hole in it?  Would it go
> through? Would it meet resistance?  Would the end of your drill bit
> disappear from existence in this universe

I think it's quite likely that this universe is finite, but that there
is an infinity of such universes (I am not a cosmologist, though).

As for 'going to a place where it ends', you can't. Just as you can't go
to 'a place where it starts'. Try drawing an x on a ball at a place
where it ends. Or starts.

Ben