[ExI] OP-ED: The billionaire space race reflects a colonial mindset that fails to imagine a different world

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Aug 27 16:03:54 UTC 2021

On 27/08/2021 10:23, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> ... one 2x2 km cylinder ...

I used to think along similar lines, and that such mini-habitats would
lead to much grander structures - think Iain M Banks' Orbitals, but a
bit more modest (physics has to be considered, after all). These things
would dwarf planets, and provide all the wilderness and living room
anyone could wish for, and living on one would be pretty much
indistinguishable from living on a spherical planet, unless you made the
right measurements.

I don't think like that any more though. Maybe, one day, in the distant
future when there are no more planets left in the neighbourhood, but not
sometime soon ('soon' meaning within the next couple of thousand years),
and by that time, there probably won't be any recognisable humans left
anyway.

Because it's so very much cheaper to put non-biological machines into
space than biological ones, that's what we'll need to become if we're to
go into space in any significant numbers. And that means uploading
technology. And that means no need for these massive extravagant and
hugely expensive structures. With uploading, and the technology that
that implies, a spacecraft the size of a can of beans could hold a city
full of uploaded people, with the ability to create whatever
environments they want, including the surface of a planet, complete with
weather, mountains, beaches, anything really, and not even bounded by
the laws of physics, as this is all software.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the answer to the Fermi
Paradox - The aliens are all over, but we can't see them because their
civilisations are the size of domestic fridges.

Ben