[ExI] OP-ED: The billionaire space race reflects a colonial mindset that fails to imagine a different world

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Aug 27 19:18:09 UTC 2021

On 27/08/2021 17:02, bill w wrote:
> Only one cup of coffee so far today, so I need some explaining of why
> those things need to go to achieve my little fantasy.  bill w

OK. You're imagining a world where people (presumably you mean everyone,
not just a select few) will be able to make their own goods, food,
medicines etc., built to their own specifications.

That's a world that doesn't need trade, which means no need for capital.
A world where nobody can tell you what food to eat, what medicines (and
drugs, medicinal or recreational) you can (and more importantly can't)
take. A world where people are pretty much their own masters.

I'm not saying that would be a bad world. But there are sure as hell
plenty of people who would. People who would fight like crazy to prevent
it. And not just people. Governments. Religions. Corporations. In fact,
just about any form of existing power structure would lose out in that
world, so would oppose it with all their might. People with power want
to keep power, increase it. People with money want more money, even when
it makes other people poorer (most of the time, anyway. There are rare
exceptions).

So you'd have to get rid of capitalism, get rid of greed, and get rid of
the desire for power, in order for that world to come into existence.

Ben