[ExI] IQ and mental health

Sherry Knepper guessmyneeds at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 23:51:40 UTC 2021

SRBallard, even though your medication still hasn't made your life normal, it sounds like you would be out of control without it.  Hope future advancements in mental health bring better treatments your way.  I have depression which I can trace back to age 4.  Depression was not recognized in those under 18 until I was many years past that.  I have turned down all antidepressants I am able to take, except for one, which needs to be  swallowed whole and I can't swallow pills.  I avoid all the others because of a side effect called serotonin syndrome which is an emergency and potentially fatal and difficult to diagnose.  None of my health professionals mentioned to me about this, which I consider irresponsible, although I am sure this side effect is mentioned in the literature that comes with the medication.  Also I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and health anxiety in 2019 as a result of stress from an infected tooth.  The only other medication option for my new anxiety symptoms was a benzodiazepine, which I had been taking already for years due to occasional shortness of breath from anxiety.  I am hoping for better treatments and am considering talk therapy in the near future.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM, SR Ballard via extropy-chat<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:   I have been diagnosed with multiple conflicting things by multiple different professionals who examined me within days of each other.

When I take my medicine, I am a normal person. I can be irritated, or happy, or lazy, or work hard. I can let things go.

Without my medicine I am angry over the tiniest things for days, sleep odd hours, up for 3-4 days at a time, then sleep 16+ hours per day for a weeks on end. I can’t shower, brush my hair, feed myself. I get impulsive and have all kinds of personal issues. I once even fled the country.

It’s insane how 100mg/day can completely change someone’s life.

But I’ve also had to accept that my medicine makes me “stupid”. I can’t hyperfocus for days. I can’t think as quickly. I don’t free associate nearly as fluidly.

I don’t think my IQ has been much of a benefit in relation to my mental health struggles. It’s actively created a lot of situations where people guilt, shame, or blame me for my struggles, when in a way, if I do not have my medicine, I really can’t do much about it.

SR Ballard