[ExI] IQ and mental health

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 00:51:32 UTC 2021

.Perhaps those of us who don’t have these challenges need to spend a few
introspective minutes regularly pondering how we might help those less
fortunate in these matter.   spike

The best thing nonprofessionals can do about mental health questions is to
refrain from dumping a lot of unrequested advice on them.  Also don't tell
stories about yourself and how you fixed your problems, or others that you
know who have similar problems.  Exhibit understanding (just nods will
usually work) and empathy and especially listening without judging.  No
pity, no feeling sorry.  About the worst thing is to in some way belittle
their problems.  Don't act superior.  Probably most of you know most of
this, but many people don't.  Men are among the worst, esp. if they are
dealing with a woman with problems.  They are the reason the derogatory
term 'mansplaining' got invented.  Men sincerely want  to help (want to
help women, anyway; other men are usually ignored or even shunned as
defective)  but usually don't know how, which is why women generally want
to talk to another woman, who likely has superior social and emotional
skills compared to a man.  Just be very careful.

bill w

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 7:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <