[ExI] capitalism drives innovation

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 09:00:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 at 07:32, Henrik Ohrstrom via extropy-chat

> Don't blame this one on capitalism. Capitalism is the enabler if you can buy it though.
> /Henrik

That's right. These masks are called musicians masks and the main
driver was music organisations.

<https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-music-wind-instruments-spread-transmission>

Quote:
What science tells us about reducing coronavirus spread from wind instruments
Performers and researchers collaborate to learn the risks and how to lower them
By Betsy Ladyzhets     August 6, 2021

“With hundreds or thousands of hours of rehearsal and millions of
people participating,” Weaver says, “the fact that we’ve had [so few]
cases of spread, we’re pretty confident in the mitigations.” Spede and
Weaver believe these protocols could be useful beyond the pandemic,
for instance, during cold and flu seasons and other infectious disease
outbreaks.

So these masks, along with other mitigations, seem to be beneficial.

BillK