[ExI] why the book is better

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Dec 13 22:13:33 UTC 2021

On 13/12/2021 20:13, billw wrote:
> Book of course lack the visual aspects - Hermes
> Au contraire - I love the visuals in my head far better than the ones
> on the screen.  The actors never seem to look like what I imagine.

This (for me, at least) hits the nail on the head. When you read a book
(if you are a visual thinker, anyway), you create your own visuals,
imagine how the characters look and move, etc., and set the overall
visual tone. When you then see the film of the book, it's inevitably
different, and suffers in comparison.

Purely by chance, the characters in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings
films are very close to my imagined versions from reading the books
(especially Gandalf and some of the elves, and, oddly, Smeagol), so I
thought they were excellent films. On the other hand, the films derived
from Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles' books (of which there won't be any
more because she just died) weren't very good because the characters,
and other visual aspects of the films were wildly different to my
imagined versions.

Ben