[ExI] When your mother died...

Sherry Knepper guessmyneeds at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 18:43:54 UTC 2021

John, so sorry.  Ho0efully the Tipler technique, quantum archaeology or something else will bring her back.  Unless there is an afterlife we will all go to, as long as humanity survives as a species there will be a search for a way to bring everyone back.  If i am still sentient at the time we have something, i would like to participate, even if it is experimental.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 1:26 AM, John Grigg via extropy-chat<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:   My mother died a week ago, and I am grieving. And so If I may ask, how did those of you who have lost your mothers deal with it?
I have very bittersweet memories of my mother and she was far from perfect, but I will say that she did love my brother and I. Eighteen years had gone by since I had last seen her face to face, and I feel guilt over my letting that happen. But at least my brother was there to take her into his home, during her final two months. And so she was surrounded by loving adults and lots of kids. It was only during her final week of life, that my brother and the doctors realized she was actually dying. She passed peacefully, in her sleep, while my brother's wife was reading to her. My mother was convinced that there is an afterlife, and for the past five years had spoken of her desire to die, having lived her life and feeling ready to move on.
I wonder how the role of mothers will change/grow as humanity develops transhumanist technologies, and people have vigorous lifespans measured in multiple centuries. I envision it being somewhat like what was depicted in the Old Testament, with Methuselah-like figures who were surrounded by many generations of offspring. And of course as these life extending technologies mature, they will produce future mothers who will not be old in appearance and frail. What a strange new world it will be...
John