[ExI] covid or cold?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 05:33:37 UTC 2021

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 12:05 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> I keep hearing that the omicron variant looks and acts like a common
> cold.  If so, this is exactly what was predicted: eventually a killer-flu
> mutates into something more contagious and more benign.  What we still
> don’t know is if one brand of covid protects the catcher from the other
> brands.  If it does, then omicron is the end of this tragic nightmare.

### There is immunological cross-reactivity between various Covid variants,
so an infection provides some protection against reinfection by multiple
other variants. However, the tragic nightmare is a godsend to poseurs and
power-grabbers, so I wouldn't be too optimistic that a mere lack of
lethality will end it ;(

Rafal