[ExI] This is my last post to the Extropian List

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 17:46:31 UTC 2021

> Here’s another one for you.  Assume someone brings up the topic of guns.
> Any actual knowledge of how a gun works, any actual technical knowledge of
> the topic in our world is nearly universally interpreted as indicating
> right wing sympathy.  Anyone who has a lot of technical knowledge on the
> topic is highly suspect, regardless of that person’s actual political
> sympathies.

bill w - this just seems simply a matter of overgeneralization.  You don't
hear from people like me, to whom being against gun rights is like being
against freedom of the press.

> One step further please.  Suppose one recognizes that the speaker is using
> a lot of specialized terminology and responds not at all, even if one
> thinks one knows what is meant.  Silence is interpreted as disagreement.
> Non-response is a negative response.  This is most disturbing, for if
> silence is violence, it cannot be allowed.  Orwell was right again.

bill w - I don't understand this paragraph.  Please expand (or unload as
the current terminology says)  I may have to go back and read my Orwell.  I
read all that stuff in my 20s - time for a re-read.