[ExI] school. was: RE: How to watch Perseverance Mars landing on Thursday 18 Feb

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 17 17:12:12 UTC 2021

....> On Behalf Of Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] How to watch Perseverance Mars landing on Thursday 18 Feb

On 2021-2-17 07:23, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:
>> The school board arranged for the winter break to be during this landing
attempt.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org

School's out for the week.

Just kidding of course.  School has been out for nearly a year, depending on
how one looks at it.  For some of the students, the ones who know how to
take ownership of their own education, school went on, and for a small
minority it really kicked into high gear, with better results than in-person
classes.

For others, an entire critically-important year was pretty much lost.  This
has been turned into a pollical football in the USA (surprise!)  Our public
schools have the notion that the goal is to have the graduates as equal as
possible at diploma day.  The shutdown has defeated that goal 17 ways to
Sunday.

Ja, I am fully aware that comment risks igniting a firestorm of controversy.
But it isn't USA politics as far as I can tell, or if so, who is on which
side.  Every country in the world is facing these same kinds of questions
and seeing the same things we are: online learning just doesn't work for
some, but does for others, and works better than normal for a few.  OK than,
most here would agree on that observation.  So... what happens next?