[ExI] one and done

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 03:15:53 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:44 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> I really understated my case with a previous post in which I suggested
> that taking a single vaccine and subsequently cancelling the second
> appointment makes perfect sense.  I could go on to say that in many places,
> they are vaccine-limited, rather than personnel limited: they use all they
> have.  In those places, if one gives up one’s second dose, it frees up that
> dose to give a first dose to someone else.  It is better to have twice as
> many locals with 90% immunity than have fewer with 95% and the rest
> without.  It is safer for the person intentionally giving up her second
> dose to use that one someone else.

Counterpoint: there's enough mismanagement and rigid bureaucracy that there
is a substantial chance that, if you try to waive your second dose, the
dose that was reserved for your second will ultimately go in a dumpster,
spoiled, and will not benefit anyone.

A high enough chance that you are actually safer getting your second dose.