[ExI] sra

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Feb 26 00:38:48 UTC 2021

> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] sra

>…Yeah, I remember SRA. I enjoyed it.

Cool Dave you and I are about the same age, so we are talking about the same material.

SRA was controversial at the time because it was visible to everyone where the students were working.  Harming the students’ delicate little egos was allowed back in the olden days, but teachers were encouraged to not do that.

Here’s a funny take on it from someone who hated it:

https://omigods.com/11-tiers-of-frustration-what-the-sra-reading-levels-really-meant

The existence of SRA let the eagles soar while the pidgins pecked away at the front of the box (spelling of pidgins intentional.)  The academically rich have always gotten richer, but SRA let that process accelerate dramatically.  Of course those on the right end of the curve loved it.

There is a reason why I mentioned it.  The covid nightmare appears to be drawing to a close.  California’s new case rate is below 20% what it was on 8 January.  It is now below where we were mid-summer and will likely drop below the October minimum pretty soon.  Good chance the county will tell us we can open the school again.  I was at a school board meeting this week on what comes next, which isn’t clear at all.  We weren’t prepared for the sudden dropoff in new cases:

Well, OK then, good.  New case rate is dropping steeply, with a curve that looks remarkably similar in some ways to the 2003 SARS pandemic (scaled way up on the vertical axis.)

I did a lot more listening than talking, but it was very educational to hear the public (parents) make their presentations.  Parents really want schools to reopen, forthwith.  Several parents shared that their children got little or nothing from online learning, some reporting that they mighta gone in reverse.  This graduating class will be spread apart more than previous classes.

Some have really prospered.