[ExI] free speech

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jan 10 14:36:13 UTC 2021

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2021 6:20 AM

Subject: Re: [ExI] free speech

>> Google and Facebook are private companies and they can censor all they
> want to, and I would not take that away from them, or even force them
> to use disclaimers.

>I am all for freedom too, but the biggest threat to freedom is
concentration of power. Information monopolies, and collaboratng duopolies
(Apple and Google for Apps) concentrate power.

>For example, the wires and cell networks carrying Internet traffic are
owned by private companies. If all these companies join together and say,
"We prohibit any information about extropian ideas, transhumanism, and the
future of technology in general." Is that OK?

Hi Bill, it is not OK.  It is legal.  Two different things.

Since control of speech in our time is the domain of private business (only)
we can imagine businesses that cater to specific memetic structures,
filtering out information that would disturb the consumer's comfortable
little safe space.  Twitter and Face Book among others are already doing
that.

Note: if a media company censors anything, then it endorses everything it
leaves on there.