[ExI] Immaculate Election

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:53:59 UTC 2021

Wait, what?

Dave Sill said:

“No large, complex system is ever perfect. And even if we had a perfect
voting system, we'd still be subject to bogus conspiracy theories.”

Which is exactly the point.  Making a system so bullet proof, it can’t
fail, faces the problem of diminishing returns for increased expense, never
achieving perfection without infinite cost.  The solution is redundancy –
lots of cheap systems, so if any one or two fail, the rest of the system
keeps on working.  The internet works the same bottom-up way.  Censoring is
just viewed as failure, and routes around it.

Just like diversity of opinion (anti group think) is a good thing,
Conspiracy theories are also good.  The easy path is to go along with the
‘group think’, it takes real effort to pursue highly unlikely, yet still
real possibilities.  And revolutions always start with that one brilliant
first person to recognize a new way.  So, you must provide a system with
lots of tools (like the sledgehammer tool in Spike’s Apple Video) to
encourage things like this.

Censoring anyone is only addressing the symptoms, which has the opposite
effect of giving power to the underlying issue.  If you censor anyone, that
just cause people to switch to (or build if necessary) a different system
to rout around that failure.  That is a good thing.  All censoring is a
hierarchical / authoritarian action.  Playing the game of warring
hierarchies is always a win lose game.  We need to flip this upside down,
to the win/win bottom-up system.  Instead of a win/lose, bottom-up system,
have the goal of finding out, and getting everyone all that they want.

Wherever there is a will, someone will find a way.  This is the core of the
issue we face today.  And censoring conspiracy theories just polarizes
everyone into warring hierarchies.  You need a bottom-up system that values
all voices, with no censoring, like Canonizer.com, which can address the
core issue (giving everyone a voice) and bringing everyone back together to
play a win / win game.

In addition to redundancy, lots of cheap, replaceable systems, you simply
want to give everyone a voice.  Instead of the establishment dictating what
is and isn‘t censored (what the guy at the top wants), you give all
individuals the choice to decide that, personally.  If someone is willing
to pursue a conspiracy theory, anyone willing to pay that price should be
highly valued.  You give them the ability to create their own, anti
establishment competing camp.  It is up to them to describe their claims,
which should be falsifiable, for them.  Then you support them, performing
the experiments they are suggesting, and only when they are convinced that
the group consensus is right, and they communicate this to everyone by
jumping from their then falsified, for them camp, to the group consensus
theory, problem solved.  Again, that is how canonizer is designed to work.

Here is a table from that MIT paper posted by Stuart:

[image: image.png]

This table is completely backwards.  The paper ballots are the ones that
are not "Voter-verifiable", simply because that is too inefficient.  No one
voter can count all the paper ballots.  And anyone claiming that blockchain
voting isn’t verifiable doesn’t understand blockchain.  Anyone, and their
dog, can get a copy of the blockchain ledger of all votes.  Anyone and
their dog can pick their preferred open-source verification code to verify
their copy of the ledger.  Blockchain voting is the only one that should be
green, in such a table.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:22 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <