[ExI] Immaculate Election

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:40:46 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Americans have the right to refuse any form of personal identification.
> Currently it isn’t used even for in-person voting in California.  Many
> activities do require identification, such as driving, but voting does not.

Having an ID and being required to produce one are not the same.

> Article 4 of the constitution forbids the government from requiring
> identification just to exist.

Can you be more specific? I don't see it.

> How well I understand that.  However, we have always had face
> recognition.  Now we have the technology to automate that process.  It
> looks to me like there is no logical way to make use of face rec tech
> illegal.

It's easy to pass laws making it illegal.

>…It's OK to distrust the outcome…
>

> Ja, distrust is growing steadily.

But there's no evidence of voting problems outside of wacky conspiracy
theories.

 >… if there's evidence of a problem…
>

> The growing distrust is evidence of a problem.  The system lacks
> transparency.

Yes, surely transparency would solve the problems we've seen. :-)

>…Every challenge to the 2020 election was thrown out of court because of
> the lack of evidence.
>

> What we need is evidence that would lead to more public trust.  I haven’t
> seen that evidence, but I have seen plenty of evidence of reduced public
> trust.  The system lacks transparency, which leads to public distrust.

More transparency would convince reasonable people but it would have no
effect on unreasonable people. I see no indications of trust issues from
reasonable people.

-Dave