[ExI] uncommon lols

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 23:56:17 UTC 2021

> On Jul 2, 2021, at 12:58 PM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> I know this one thing:  chickens won't lay as many eggs to rock as they will to Mozart.  Draw your own conclusions.  I can't imagine getting grant money to study this.  M

Well, my guess would be there would be a ready source of funding studies of this by the poultry industry. And that’s exactly what’s happened:

https://www.canadianpoultrymag.com/musical-barns-have-pay-offs-17249/

In fact, Bristol seems to have much invested in studying chickens:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/vet-school/research/ciel/news/poultry-news/

Add to this, it seems like this would a relatively easy and cheap thing to study: chickens are easy to breed, raise and monitor, and they have relatively short life spans (compared to researchers). This is unlike studying, say, chimps or dolphins. (There are, of course, ethical concerns, but that’s another discussion.)

Regards,

Dan