[ExI] 24,000 y/o bdelloid rotifer revived from permafrost

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 20:12:03 UTC 2021

“A living bdelloid rotifer from 24,000-year-old Arctic permafrost”

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(21)00624-2?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0960982221006242%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

“Here, we report the survival of an obligate parthenogenetic bdelloid rotifer, recovered from northeastern Siberian permafrost radiocarbon-dated to ∼24,000 years BP. This constitutes the longest reported case of rotifer survival in a frozen state. We confirmed the finding by identifying rotifer actin gene sequences in a metagenome obtained from the same sample.”

SR Ballard