[ExI] Protonmail has had a makeover

Gabe Waggoner lostmyelectron at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:27:12 UTC 2021

> Just a quick note to mention that the new Protonmail design seems to be an improvement.

> If you would like an encrypted email system that values privacy and avoids surveillance, then you can give their free email system a try. They make a living from additional paid-for services, not from adverts and collecting users data.
> Read more here:
> https://gizmodo.com/protonmail-unveils-an-overdue-makeover-and-new-features-1847054759
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProtonMail
> https://protonmail.com/
>
> ExiMod
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.

Has anyone else had problems logging in to the new site? Ever since this morning I've been getting a vanishingly brief error message saying "something went wrong" and then Tor redirects to the Onion login site. I've tried generating a new identity and a new circuit, as well as the standard restart Mac/restart Tor approach (both of which are as updated as they can be).

For months I've had issues trying to use the Onion site on Tor. I'd often get the "too many login attempts" error, which sometimes would resolve after a few tries and sometimes would not. But I could always access the beta site. The beta site is what has now become the new site, n'est-ce pas ? ProtonMail support suggests that I try deactivating Proton VPN Plus, but I'm reluctant because doing so defeats the purpose of having a VPN. (Getting meta, it reminds me of The Onion satire newspaper, which once had a headline along the lines of "ACLU defends right of terrorists to bomb ACLU headquarters." So I have to turn off Proton's VPN to keep using ProtonMail in a more secure fashion?)

I second ExiMod's statement about supporting ProtonMail through paid services. I used the free version for a month and then upgraded to Proton Plus for about a year and a half. Last month I went up to Professional, which I've enjoyed tremendously (notably the priority response from support).

Till later,
Gabe

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.