[ExI] Study of social media behavior must be 'crisis discipline'

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jun 27 13:12:57 UTC 2021

...> On Behalf Of BillK ...

>...These platforms are driven to maximize engagement and profitability, not to ensure sustainability or accurate information—and the vulnerability of these systems to misinformation and disinformation poses a dire threat to health, peace, global climate and more.

Ja.  The great challenge of our times is finding ways to promote health, peace, global climate and all that stuff while still making a pile of cash.

>... unable to stem the ‘infodemic’ of misinformation” that has hindered widespread acceptance of masks and vaccines...

The mainstream media did itself no favors.  After the fact, we find out that covid might really have leaked from a lab in Wuhan, regardless of how hard the media worked to convince us otherwise, and that other medications might have been effective against covid during the time the vaccine was being developed.  The mainstreamers' credibility will take years to recover lost ground.

>...Ohh,  Somebody's noticed that social media might just be destroying society..........

BillK

Social media is certainly fracturing society into smaller pieces which may or may not work well together.  The mainstream media long for a return to when they controlled the message to the public.  That day will never come again.