[ExI] Study of social media behavior must be 'crisis discipline'

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 14:34:54 UTC 2021

Before the web, a parent could only infect his own family with prejudices,
biases, myths and other superstitious behaviors and ideas.  Now they can
infect the entire world.  I am reading 'In Gods We Trust, the Evolutionary
Landscape of Religion'.

For me, it's practically a college course in evolution, which I needed.
Very high level book by a cultural cognitive anthropologist, a new type to
me.

"Faith in religious belief is not simply another manifestation of a general
psychological propensity to reduce cognitive dissonance by ignoring or
reappraising information that is contrary to one's views.  It is the direct
cognitive result of suspending the relevance criteria that universally
apply to ordinary communications.  If faith is, in part, willingness to
suspend ordinary pragmatic constraints of relevance, then beliefs held in
faith become not only immune to falsification and contradiction, but become
even more strongly held in the face of apparent falsification or
contradiction.  Apparently disconfirmed religious beliefs show only the
superficiality of one's current interpretation and point to an even deeper
but more mysterious truth."

So how does one lose one's beliefs?  Challenging them can make them
stronger.

(Not finished - more later)   bill w

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <