[ExI] crowdsourced crimefighters

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Mar 6 21:04:42 UTC 2021

.> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] crowdsourced crimefighters

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 at 17:43, spike jones via extropy-chat <
<mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
wrote:

> We had a minor crime occur in a nearby neighborhood.  These are two images
of the getaway vehicle.  I posted them to my motorcycle group, but they are
bikers, not SUV crossover people.  So I decided to let ExI take a shot at
it.

> spike

There is a reddit group that does this all the time.

Post a car photo to get it identified.

< <https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthiscar/>
https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthiscar/>

BillK

BillK, your Reddit site solved it within minutes.

Regarding that which I posted earlier, the notion can be best illustrated as
shown.  Rotate the image such that the line passing thru the wheel centers
is parallel to the ground.

Find the major axis (blue line) and minor axis (red line.)  Take the
apparent diameter of both (in pixels) and find the ratio.  Might be 1.2 in
the image below.

Now just move every pixel 1.2 times the distance from rear hub along the
axis of the red line.

That should result in an undistorted side-view.  Pixel-mapping can be done
with that.  Cool!

So now we know the sleazy perp drives a 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan.