[ExI] crowdsourced crimefighters

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 22:11:20 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 4:56 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Does anyone from way the heck up there have info on how Teslas do when it
> is
> absurdly cold?  My intuition tells me that since they will still go
> (slowly)
> at very low temperature, then they will warm up as you drive and should be
> fine after a few km.

A number of studies have been done.   This is one of them (it may not
reflect current state of the art though):

AAA tested the BMW i3s, Chevrolet Bolt and Nissan Leaf from the 2018 model
year, and the 2017 Tesla Model S 75D and Volkswagen e-Golf. All have a
range of at least 100 miles per charge. They were tested on a dynamometer,
which is like a treadmill, in a climate-controlled cell.

The automobile club tested the cars at 20 degrees and 95 degrees, comparing
the range to when they were tested at 75 degrees Fahrenheit, according to a
report on the study.

*At 20 degrees, the average driving range fell by 12% when the car’s cabin
heater was not used. When the heater was turned on, the range dropped by
41%, AAA said.*

At 95 degrees, range dropped 4% without use of air conditioning, and fell
by 17% when the cabin was cooled, the study found.

For example, AAA’s testers determined that the Tesla’s range when fully
charged at 75 degrees was 239 miles, but it fell 91 miles, or 38%, at 20
degrees.

In a statement, Tesla disputed the AAA results. The company said that based
on data collected from its cars on the road, “the average Model S customer
doesn’t experience anywhere near that decrease in range.” The company said
the range dropped by roughly 1% at 95 degrees, but it would not release a
percentage for cold weather.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cold-weather-saps-electric-car-batteries-2019-02-07