[ExI] astonishing

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 21 00:47:54 UTC 2021

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: RE: [ExI] astonishing

>…That megabyte salt-ice imager looked cool and sexy at the time but I chose to not buy one.  I had a tracker and a scope (200 mm catadioptric) but didn’t buy that camera or the 80 MB drive, thinking they might go thru the same dramatic improvement in performance as computers had been doing for the past several years (that part was right, they did.)

>…Apologies, must interrupt once again, reality is bugging me to take care of it.  spike

OK.  My friend Wayne was fooling with photometry imaging with water-ice rock salt cooling along with the tracker, scope and drive capable of storing about 75 images, all of it together cost about 4000 bucks, which would get you a new low-end car in those days.

Suddenly, 30 years went by.  We figured out how to do some things better.  Now, we are able to make as many digital images as we want, far far superior to anything we could do back then regardless of how much money we had.  These cameras which do this are about the size of a pea (!), and can be produced in mass quantities for a cost of about 3 dollars each (!)  The phone (!) on which the data is stored (!) holds so many images, we don’t even bother going back thru and erasing old ones.

A software package eliminates the need for a tracker (itself over a thousand dollar item if you get a good quiet one.)  The software somehow figures out what images are stars, are streaking over the exposure time and will undo that effect.  That software is free.

With that setup we can make better images than anything we could even buy back in the olden days.

Is this a great time to be alive or what?