[ExI] Diaspora

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Mar 26 22:49:35 UTC 2021

On 24/03/2021 22:53, billw wrote:
> Just 'finished' this book by GReg Egan,  Content:  speculative fixed
> point topology, speculative nuclear physics, multiple universes, etc.
>
> I estimate that I skipped about 85% of the book - a first for me.
> Probably more like 90%
>
> Hard?  Nope - adamantine.  Way, way over my head.  Characters aren't
> interesting either.  But I plugged away just to find out if I could
> understand any of it.  Maybe 5%.

Well, I can't say that I really understood the physics and maths in it
either, but I still rate it as one of my favourite books ever. And the
joke about the wormhole experiment really tickled me.

It's strange how people see things so differently. I would have listed
the content as: Life as an Upload, branching identity, futuristic
reproduction and upbringing, existential threat writ large, elusive
aliens, multiple universes, black holes, human psychology, etc. And
wormholes.

Ben

--
Ben Zaiboc