[ExI] tornados and google maps

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed May 5 13:24:01 UTC 2021

Tornados touch down and wreck stuff in random locations, but fortunately
they don't really cover a lot of area like a hurricane.  We only hear of it
when it happens where there are news agencies.

Fun experiment: Google on any populated country, such as USA, go into
satellite view.  Zoom out a long ways where you can't see cities, then take
the hand icon and mix it up a little, so that you are over any random spot.
Now play tornado and zoom in right there.  Try it several times.  I touched
down in a farm field with no structures nearby, then an undeveloped area
with nothing nearby (where no one might ever notice that one came in), then
another field, then a fourth time where I came down near enough to a barn to
take out that structure, but nothing else, insurance guy out the next day, a
month later, new barn, like nothing ever happened.

I might repeat that experiment and see how long it takes for me to land near
enough to any developed area, then recognize that even if I land there, it
is not certain that the path will be toward that populated area.