[ExI] Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:26:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 12:47 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

>  composite. People with cochlear implants have auditory qualia, but that
> doesn’t mean that they know what it is like to be a cochlear implant, which
> is an electronic device, or that the cochlear implant knows what it is like
> to be a human.

What it is like to be bat, eh?  Somehow the bat navigates in space (and
time) to find food.  From a pure engineering point of view, that's pretty
amazing technology. I hadn't really appreciated it that way the first time
I read Nagel's question.

I wonder if we model higher dimensional navigation for similar goals.
Maybe we can reach consensus on what it's like to be a bat... but some will
still claim that's not enough to know what it IS to be a bat.