[ExI] Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:45:44 UTC 2021

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 15:28, Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat <

> On Fri, May 21, 2021, 12:47 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>
>>  composite. People with cochlear implants have auditory qualia, but that
>> doesn’t mean that they know what it is like to be a cochlear implant, which
>> is an electronic device, or that the cochlear implant knows what it is like
>> to be a human.
>>

> What it is like to be bat, eh?  Somehow the bat navigates in space (and
> time) to find food.  From a pure engineering point of view, that's pretty
> amazing technology. I hadn't really appreciated it that way the first time
> I read Nagel's question.
>
> I wonder if we model higher dimensional navigation for similar goals.
> Maybe we can reach consensus on what it's like to be a bat... but some will
> still claim that's not enough to know what it IS to be a bat.

Brent would claim that if we could somehow connect our brain to a bat’s we
would know what it is like to be a bat, but it would not. At best, we might
know what it is like to have sonar, but the bat might experience sonar very
differently to the bat-human hybrid.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou