[ExI] totalitarian techniques

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Nov 12 20:53:42 UTC 2021

On 12/11/2021 15:52, bill w wrote:
> Like the Japanese, the Chinese are a very proud people.  They have
> been dominated by the Japanese to a certain extent and that motivates
> them.  I think they are embarrassed that their country has lagged
> behind the West and Japan and now Korea, and they are desperate to
> catch up.  They will burn coal or do whatever it takes to catch up.
> This is not time to hamstring your own efforts, they must think.

I reckon that's a rather outdated view.

China has unprecendented economic power now. Just try buying a piece of
electronic equipment that wasn't made in China (try buying virtually
/anything/ from Amazon that wasn't made in China!). I'm just waiting for
them to start throwing their economic weight about, dictating policies
to other countries (remind you of anyone?). It's dismaying and worrying
how many things are 'made in China', once you start taking notice.
Here's an exercise: Look at all the things necessary for your current
existence. Find out where they are produced. Cross out all the ones made
in China. Could you live with what's left? I don't know if we've crossed
that line yet, but If we're not very careful, they will conquer the
world without firing a shot. I really doubt that this is just accidental.

Ben