[ExI] the latest on multitasking

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:45:25 UTC 2021

I have no doubt that focus/attention can be improved through training,
though I don't know what that would consist of.  I am a special case:  I
have tinnitus in both ears and have read that some people have committed
suicide because of it.  If I pay attention to it, it is very annoying.  But
most of the time I don't hear it at all - doesn't bother me.  Right now I
hear it because any stimulant, like my morning coffee makes it worse.
Still not bothering me.

I have read where there are pain clinics that deal with terrible pain that
no drugs can touch.  The idea is to teach the person how to live it.  The
further idea is that there is a difference between pain and suffering.
Pain you cannot turn off, but apparently suffering can be.  Some women go
through childbirth only commenting on pressure, not pain.

I would like to hear about your experience with self-improvement books.  If
they are like the seminars businesses put on to improve their employees,
then you get a significant effect in changing behavior, but it only lasts
about two weeks.  First, I think you have to be able to ditch old habits
and acquire new ones which last, and that is a big, big order to fill.
 bill w

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:07 AM John Grigg via extropy-chat <