[ExI] Metaverse - Could be even worse than social media.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 16:12:47 UTC 2021

Metaverse: Augmented reality inventor warns it could be far worse than
social media.
If used improperly, the metaverse could be more divisive than social
media and an insidious threat to society and even reality itself.

THE FUTURE — NOVEMBER 6, 2021   Louis Rosenberg
<https://bigthink.com/the-future/metaverse-augmented-reality-danger/>

Quotes:
KEY TAKEAWAYS
Social media manipulates our reality by filtering what we are allowed
(or not allowed) to see. We live in dangerous times because too many
people use social media to disseminate untruths and promote division.
Augmented reality and the metaverse have the potential to amplify
these dangers to incomprehensible levels.

At its core, augmented reality (AR) and the metaverse are media
technologies that aim to present content in the most natural form
possible — by seamlessly integrating simulated sights, sounds, and
even feelings into our perception of the real world around us. This
means AR, more than any form of media to date, has the potential to
alter our sense of reality, distorting how we interpret our direct
daily experiences. In an augmented world, simply walking down the
street will become a wild amalgamation of the physical and the
virtual, merged so convincingly that the boundaries will disappear in
our minds. Our surroundings will become filled with persons, places,
objects, and activities that don’t actually exist, and yet they will
seem deeply authentic to us.

Personally, I find this terrifying. That is because augmented reality
will fundamentally change all aspects of society and not necessarily
in a good way.

Big changes ahead.  If we can't stop present-day social media from
harming people, how will a much more powerful technology be
controlled?  As the work-from-home revolution has demonstrated, is
this the first step in humanity leaving the real world and moving into
virtual worlds? The lessons of Second Life have been learned and the
Metaverse could become irresistible.

BillK