[ExI] Diet

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Nov 28 14:53:05 UTC 2021

On 28/11/2021 01:35, Spike wrote:
> Regarding the lifestyle stuff: vegetarianism is probably a good idea
> for optimal health.

I would dispute that.

It's certainly not my experience.

Of course, everyone has to find out what works best for them, but I
strongly suspect that the current tendency to regard vegetarianism, and
especially the extreme variety, as being healthier than meat-eating is a
clever piece of 'fake news' promoted by vegetarians.

I find it remarkable that the statement "meat is good for you" is
controversial. It shouldn't be. I think part of the cleverness bahind
this distortion of the facts lies in diverting the meaning of 'meat' to
mean, on the whole, highly processed meat. I wouldn't dispute that a lot
of highly processed meat isn't good. But 'meat' != 'junk food'. And if
it wasn't for meat, we wouldn't be who we are. There would be no Homo
Sapiens.

These days, I eat a low-carb diet, and eat a ton of meat and dairy
products. And I've never been healthier or felt as good in my life. I've
spend decades conforming to the accepted wisdom that fat is bad for you,
carbs should contribute the majority of your daily calories, and meat is
not good, especially red meat. I even became a vegetarian for a while
(which was not a good experience). During these decades, I steadily got
fatter and less fit and healthy. Since discovering, and experimenting
with, the low-carb diet, that trend has reversed. It's almost as if I
was getting younger. I'm not, obviously, but that's how it feels. I can
honestly say I feel better now than I have in 30 years. Even as a kid
and a teenager, my health and general well-being wasn't as good as it is
now.

So that's why I, personally, dispute the notion that "vegetarianism is
probably a good idea for optimal health".

And before someone says "but you can be vegetarian and low-carb!", I can
only say: Try it. I'm not saying it's impossible, I know it works for
some people. But so does calorie-restriction.

Anyway, I just wanted to challenge the idea that vegetarianism is an
unalloyed good thing, that everyone should take up. It's a story that
you shouldn't swallow whole without question, and without finding out
what works best for you.

  Ben