[ExI] Crazy electric scooter racing

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:28:07 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 16:05, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Ja I have followed it halfheartedly over the years.  The commies introduced it back in about the 1950s.  It caught on in Canada and Sweden, but I don’t know of other leagues doing full spike ice racing.
>
> If I were going to try something like that, I would do time trials only on an otherwise deserted track.  Don’t want no spikes in spike.
>
> The American version of that uses bolts instead of spikes and the race is held on a dirt flat track with ice over it:
>
> Ja, again I would only attempt it on a track with no other racers.  Good chance I would be OK if I fell off and no one hit me, given a good Kevlar suit.
>
> spike

One thing to bear in mind for the airbags is that after each fall a
replacement gas cartridge is required and these aren't cheap. $25 to
$30 dollars for motorcyclists, maybe $50-$60 dollars for the hip
protectors. That's a good incentive to avoid falls!
If you are accident-prone, then body armour and padding may be
the better way to go.

BillK